Owain Glyndŵr’s Mount is near Llidiart-y-Parc and can be seen from the A5 road between Llangollen and Corwen.
Lord of Glyndyfrdwy
It was possibly a lookout post on an earlier hill fort. The area used for the raised ancestral house and hunting lodge can be seen in the field below and joined to the mound. Iolo Goch, Owain Glyndŵr’s bard, wrote about the Summer Lodge in 1390. Apparently it was made of timber, surrounded by a moat with an elaborate gateway entrance over a bridge. It was built on an elevated site and there were eighteen apartments. Owain’s brother, Lord of Rhaggatt, lived quite close by at Rhaggatt. The present Rhaggatt Hall is a couple of miles away on the other side of the River Dee. Owain was Lord of Glyndyfrdwy and took the title of Prince of Wales here in 1400 before setting out to right the wrongs of Lord Grey of Ruthin. If Richard II, a friend to Owain Glyndŵr, had not been forced to abdicate then Wales might have achieved an early independence which has since taken 600 years to develop.
Please note that all Dee Valley Tourist Guide text, photos, maps and drawings are the copyright and property of A5 Multimedia Ltd © 2011-2022. All images have been digitally watermarked to facilitate image tracking. Prior permission must be obtained to reproduce any part of this online publication by any means. © A5 Multimedia Ltd. 2011-2022.