Carrog Bridge was built in 1660 when Charles II was restored to the Throne. Below the chapel at the end of a very ancient lane with cottages is a flat piece of ground at the riverside. Here was the reputed site of Owain Glyndwr’s jailhouse. The key is in the safekeeping of the recently upgraded local community centre and slabs and stones from the demolished building have been incorporated into local garden walls and steps.
The old lane used to continue upstream along the bank of the River Dee quite a distance as access to the previous church. This had one of the fords nearby that gave access to the main route along the valley. The church was washed away in a big flood in 1601. The replacement (completed in 1615) is situated in the centre of the village which was originally called Llansantffraid-Glyn-Dyfrdwy until the Railway came in 1860. It was renamed “Carrog”, from the name of a local manor-house to avoid confusion.
The Grouse Inn, a quaint and well spoken of pub has lovely views down onto the river and to the ancient bridge and they make very tasty bar snacks.
There’s a well equipped caravan site at Pen-y-bont, over the bridge and across the road is the terminus of the preserved steam railway. Tasty snacks and a good cup of tea are available in the original station buildings - often used for authenticity by film crews and TV camera men.
Please note that all Dee Valley Tourist Guide text, photos, maps and drawings are the copyright and property of A5 Multimedia Ltd © 2011-2022. All images have been digitally watermarked to facilitate image tracking. Prior permission must be obtained to reproduce any part of this online publication by any means. © A5 Multimedia Ltd. 2011-2022.